Reading Assignment #15
1. nature NEWS
Answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following is the word "straightforward" in section 6 closest in meaning to?
2. Which of the following is the correct statement about Method 1?
a) Every sample in the group testing is tested twice.
b) Only the samples in a group which tests positive are tested twice.
c) The samples in a group which test positive are divided into smaller groups and tested again.
3. Which of the following is the correct statement about Method 2?
a) It is a less refined version of Method 1.
b) It is probably the best approach to be taken in cases like the current coronavirus outbreaks.
c) A smaller number of people can be tested individually than in Method 1.
4. Which of the following is the word "strategy" in section 13 closest in meaning to? (*Section 13: Paragraph starting with "Ndifon and his colleagues have improve..")
5. Which of the following best describes Method 3?
a) The size of a group in the testing probably does not affect the accuracy of its results.
b) The accuracy of the testing is directly proportional to the size of a group.
c) The number of the samples in a group should be under 30 for the testing to be sufficiently accurate.
6. Which of the following is the word "sceptical" in section 17 closest in meaning to? (*Section 17: Paragraph starting with "But Sigrun Smola, a molecular virologis...")
7. Which of the following is the correct description of Method 4?
a) Just one round of testing is done with the same person's sample tested more than once in this method.
b) Samples are tested in groups first, and if a group tests positive, every sample in the group is retested individually.
c) Group testing is done twice, and if a group tests positive during the second testing, every sample is retested individually.
8. Which of the following is the word "tricky" in section 22 closest in meaning to? (*Section 22: Paragraph starting with "But Narayanan says that one-ste...")
9. Which of the following best represents the tone of the article? (You can refer to the title and the *lead of the article for hints. *The lead is a short sentence that is put under the title to express a brief summary of the article.)
10. Which of the following can substitute for the word "promising" in section 24? (*Section 24: Paragraph starting with "Researchers in Israel are using an automated system...")