Reading Assignment #10
- Further studies
1. nature NEWS
Back from the brink: Endangered whales, giraffes and gorillas make gains
Population increases demonstrate the benefits of investing in conservation, says the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
Answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following is the word "extinction" in section 1 closest in meaning to?
a) dying out
2. Which of the following is true of the two types of whales mentioned in the passage?
a) There are a smaller number of them now than before.
b) Less conservation efforts are necessary for them.
c) They are less likely to disappear from the oceans than before.
3. Which of the following is the role of the IUCN's Red List?
a) It details what the IUCN does to conserve animals, fungi and plants.
b) It records the conservation status of the creatures of the earth.
c) It lists all the world's animals, fungi and plants.
4. Which of the following can NOT replace the idiom "put (something) down to" in section 4?
a) attribute ~ to
b) credit ~ to
c) blame ~ on
5. Which of the following best describes the situation that mountain gorillas are in?
a) There are a slightly bigger number of them and their populations are still severely threatened as before.
b) There has been a minor rise in the numbers of mountain gorillas and they are slightly less threatened than before.
c) Their populations are as threatened as before because they are still not large enough to sustain the species.
6. Which of the following is true of Rothschild’s giraffes?
a) They only live in Uganda and Kenya.
b) About 2,000 of them disappeared between 1960's and 2009.
c) Their population has risen by about 1,000 during the last 7 or 8 years.
7. Which of the following is the word "development" from section 9 closest in meaning to?
8. Which of the following may the author imply by the use of the word "mature" in sections 9 and 11 of the passage?
a) These animals are healthy and can live on their own.
b) These animals are successfully surviving their childhood.
c) These animals are now adults and can produce offspring.
9. Which of the following is the best way to increase the populations of the whales mentioned in the passage?
a) To create wildlife reserves for them in many parts of the world.
b) To control commercial whaling activities by humans.
c) To reduce environmental disasters and disease epidemics.
10. Which of the following can substitute for the word "entangled" in section 14, or the last section of the passage?