Reading Assignment #21
1. nature NEWS
Artificial intelligence decodes the facial expressions of mice (02 April 2020)
Answer the following questions.
Exercise: Answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following can substitute for the word "manifest" in "they manifest in the brain"?
2. What is the ultimate goal of the study done by Nadine Gogolla?
a) To learn how emotions emerge in the brain of animals.
b) To understand how emotions arise in human brains.
c) To know how emotions are triggered in human brains.
3. Which of the following is the word characteristic in "characteristics " in "emotions should exhibit particular characteristics" in meaning to?
4. What was learned about facial expressions displayed by the mice in the research?
a) They correlated with their emotional states.
b) Hardly any expressions emerged on their faces.
c) They showed no meaningful patterns.
5. Which of the following did the study outlined in this article say about the theory proposed by Anderson?
a) The study did not confirm any points Anderson made about emotions.
b) The study confirmed several points Anderson made about emotions.
c) The study confirmed only one point Anderson made about emotions.
6. Which of the following is the word recognize in "recognized" in "Machine-learning algorithms recognized " closest in meaning to?
7. What may be one advantage of the machine-learning algorithms employed in the research?
a) They can work consistently.
b) They can work without any input from the experimenter.
c) They can eliminate the prejudice of the experimenter.
8. Which of the following is the word "relevant" in "the relevant facial expressions" closest in meaning to?
9. Why did the team which conducted the study use two-photon calcium imaging?
a) To identify brain cells that might produce these emotions in the brain
b) To pinpoint individual neuronal circuits shown to trigger particular emotions.
c) To spot individual neurons that fire when specific emotions and facial expressions are elicited.
10. Which of the following is the word conserve in "emotion may be evolutionary conserved" closest in meaning to?