Reading Assignment #14
1. nature NEWS
Conferences failing to protect LGBT+ researchers (10 AUGUST 2020)
Answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following is the word "discipline" in section 1 closest in meaning to?
2. Why was Ms. Tulloch reluctant to go to a conference to be held in Malaysia?
a) Because the country is not friendly to visitors from overseas.
b) Because the country has laws prejudiced against people with some specific sexual orientations.
c) Because the Society for Conservation Biology is not tolerant towards the queer community.
3. Which of the following did Ms. Tulloch research after she attended the meeting in Kuala Lumpur?
a) Equality, diversity and inclusion of some previously held ecology and conservation conferences.
b) Policies and practices of some previously held ecology and conservation conferences.
c) Codes of conduct of some previously held ecology and conservation conferences.
4. Which of the following is the word initiative in "initiatives" from section 4 closest in meaning to? (*Section 4: Paragraph starting with "But having a code did not...")
5. According to Ms. Tulloch, how effective did having codes of conduct prove in decreasing biases at the conferences?
a) Very effective.
b) Effective to some degree.
c) Not effective at all.
6. Which of the following is the word "diversity" in section 8 closest in meaning to? (*Section 8: Paragraph starting with "Diversity initiatives are not being..")
7. Which of the following does Tulloch think is the purpose of codes of conduct?
a) They are a statement of the values of a conference.
b) They clarify which behaviors will not be tolerated at a meeting.
c) They deal with identity-based discrimination
8. Which of the following is the word "address" in section 12 closest in meaning to? (*Section 12: Paragraph starting with "But Tulloch says that...")
a) deal with
c) speak to
9. Which of the following is suggested by Ms. Tulloch as a solution when a considerable number of members cannot physically attend an international conference?
a) The conference should be postponed until later.
b) The conferences should be held online.
c) The conference should be cancelled.
10. Which of the following best defines the word "pandemic" in section 16? (*Section 16: Paragraph starting with "The coronavirus outbreak has...")
a) A disease that affects people over a very large area or the whole world.
b) A disease widely occurring in a community at a particular time.
c) A disease that is always present in an area and affects a relatively small number of people.