Reading Assignment #16
1. nature NEWS
Answer the following questions.
1. What does the expression "descend from" in section 1 probably mean? (*Section 1: Paragraph starting with "Ancient genomics is starting...")
a) are independent of
b) are offspring of
c) are different from
2. Which of the following is the word distinct in "once-distinct" from section 1 closest in meaning to? (*Section 1: Paragraph starting with "Ancient genomics is starting...")
3. Which of the following is correct about Contemporary East Asians mentioned in section 4? (*Section 4: Contemporary East Asians descend...")
a) The spread of farming drastically changed their genetic make-up.
b) Nothing whatsoever is known about their ancestry.
c) There are approximately 1.7 billion of them.
4. Which of the following is true of the following two groups of people: those from the Yellow River Basin and those from the Fujian Province?
a) They probably started sharing some genetic characteristics with each other by the beginning of the late Neolithic Period.
b) They were genetically similar during the early Neolithic period.
c) There is evidence that they started interbreeding by approximately 6,000 years ago.
5. Which of the following might have happened in East Asia?
a) Farmers expelled hunter-gathers from the area.
b) Farmers interbred with hunter-gatherers.
c) Hunter-gatherers replaced farmers.
6. Which of the following is the word connection in "connections" from section 8 closest in meaning to? (*Section 8: Farmers in the Yellow River Basin also...")
7. Which of the following can be substituted for the word "migrate" in section 9? (*Section 9: The studies also revealed some...")
8. Which of the following is true about the ancestry of the people mentioned in the passage?
a) People who lived in the South Pacific had not descended from Taiwan.
b) People in Tibet migrated to the Yellow River Basin.
c) People from Vanuatu were related to those from Fujian Province.
9. Which of the following is the word "extinct" in section 13 closest in meaning to? (*Section 13: Paragraph starting with "The studies give researchers hope...")
a) died out
10. Which of the following is the main point of the studies explained in the passage?
a) It made clear how agriculture spread in East Asia.
b) It revealed the ancestry of people in East Asia.
c) It shed light on where western Eurasians came from.