Reading Assignment #09
1. nature NEWS
Biomedical research is becoming more open about its funding and data
More journal articles are now including statements about conflicts of interest and data sharing.
Answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following is the word "survey" in section 1 closest in meaning to?
2. Which of the following is NOT included among the key indicators for transparency of research mentioned in the passage?
a) Who funded the research.
b) When the research was carried out.
c) Whether the raw data can be obtained.
3. When was the result of the survey on transparency of research most likely published?
a) Between 2015 and 2017.
b) Between 2000 and 2014.
c) In 2018.
4. Which of the following is the word “optimistic” in section 5 furthest in meaning from?
5. Which of the following is true of conflicts of interest?
a) They may affect the design and procedure of a research.
b) Many researchers avoid providing information on them if they can.
c) They may make researchers biased against funders.
6. Which of the following can the word "vital" in section 6 be best replaced by?
7. Which of the following is NOT a reason, mentioned in the passage, why access to research data and protocols is vital?
a) Because research cannot be replicated without it.
b) Because research results cannot be reproduced without it.
c) Because research cannot be accepted without it.
8. Which of the following can best replace the word "credits" in section 8?
9. Which of the following best represents the author’s evaluation of the current situation?
a) The author regrets that the situation will not change for a long time to come.
b) The author believes that there will be more transparency in the future.
c) The author thinks the situation is changing for the better although it may be changing gradually.
10. Which of the following is the phrase "take the lead" in section 10 closest in meaning to?
a) take care
b) take charge
b) take hold